Copper Sulphate is an odorless crystalline substance, electric blue in color, highly toxic, and not safe to work with. It is produced industrially by treating copper metal with hot concentrated sulfuric acid or its oxides with dilute sulfuric acid. For laboratory use, copper sulfate is usually purchased.
Copper sulfate is used to test blood for anemia Copper sulfate pentahydrate is a fungicide. However, some fungi are capable of adapting to elevated levels of copper ions. Mixed with lime it is called Bordeaux mixture and used to control fungus on grapes, melons, and other berries.
|Molar mass||143.61 g/mol|
|Appearance||blue solid crystals when hydrated, white solid when anhydrous|